Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Get Your Tongue out of My Mouth, I'm Kissing You Good-Bye!

1993, first edition, from Atlantic Monthly Press
Cynthia Heimel
Get Your Tongue out of My Mouth, I'm Kissing You Good-Bye!
Original price $20.00, purchase price unknown
Hardcover in good condition
B-

This is sort of the rocker-chick version of Ellen Goodman's Value Judgments.  Heimel is six years younger than Goodman and a lot wilder, less common-sensical.  But they both write about feminism etc. and the time period covered here is similar.  Heimel made me laugh more (from the pop-art cover onward), but she also made me shake my head more, from her disgust at lesbians' sexuality (despite her admiration of their confidence) to her belief that Mother Nature can't be a feminist because women are more attractive in their fertile 20s than their menopausal 40s.  (Heimel was born in '47 and looks cute in a Laraine Newman sort of way in the author photograph.)

As with Goodman's book, I can see the beginnings of the current era, even in things like Jay Leno hosting The Tonight Show in his own right (He took over from Johnny Carson in '92, after years of guest-hosting.)  But she's got to be kidding if she thinks that the Baby Boomers were in no way to blame for the '80s.

No comments:

Post a Comment