Friday, August 24, 2012

Women of the Celts

1972, 1986 Inner Traditions International edition
Jean Markale
Translated by A. Mygind, C. Hauch, and P. Henry
Women of the Celts
Probably bought newish, for $12.95
Good condition paperback
C

I think I've only read this book once before, and I can see why.  Although I like the idea of the book, examining Celtic mythology to see what we can apply to modern life, it's surprisingly dull.  There were moments when I was drawn in, but this is the first book in awhile that I found myself putting off reading.  If you read it, do so for the myths, not for the interpretations.

Ironically, it wasn't till I looked it up online that I found out that Markale was a man (Jean being a masculine name in France, as I knew but forgot), so now I'm seeing it in a different light.  Not that it makes it any better or worse a book, but it does make me look at his observations on women's sexuality and feminism differently.  And I'd thought it was weird that a woman wrote, "Until now, only poets have really understood woman.  This is probably because woman, like poetry, is a continuous creation....What mystery surrounds this strange character!" 

No comments:

Post a Comment