Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Julie of the Wolves

1972, undated but "celebrating the 25th anniversary," from HarperTrophy
Jean Craighead George
Illustrated by John Schoenherr
Julie of the Wolves
Bought newish for $4.95
Slightly worn paperback
C+

This book reminds me of Island of the Blue Dolphins in that it's about a "native" teenager surviving in the wildnerness with the help of animal friends and, like IoBD, it won the Newbery.  However, Julie/Miyax is a less interesting character and I definitely never had a moment, as a child or an adult, of wishing I could live her life, as I've sometimes wanted to trade places with Karana.  The book is told in three parts, with the middle part a set of flashbacks to Julie's first thirteen years, ending with her fleeing her young, possibly mentally retarded husband who attempts to rape her.  Along with the abusive relationship of her husband's parents, this is disturbing and surprising content for a book aimed at "10up" as the back cover says.  I understand why it's there, to show why Miyax must escape, but I think I would've actually preferred that the story be told in order if George wanted to get that dark.

I didn't care all that much for Julie's life among the wolves either, since it was just as much about dominance as her Eskimo life and what she sees of white "civilization."  And I know I shouldn't have laughed, but equating San Francisco-- of all places and at such a time!-- with violence is funny to me.  I wanted to tell Miyax, be sure to wear some flowers in your hair.

So what's good about the book?  I did like seeing Miyax's attempts to communicate with the wolves, and some of the descriptions of nature are nice.  Schoenherr's few illustrations are slightly better than the text in conveying mood.  But this can't have been the best children's book of the year.  (Not that I'd expect Freaky Friday to win of course.)

No comments:

Post a Comment