Monday, August 20, 2012

Virginia Woolf: A Biography

1972, undated Harcourt Brace Jovanovich edition, with both volumes in one binding
Quentin Bell
Virginia Woolf: A Biography
Original price unknown, purchase price $3.95
Very worn paperback
B-

Bell writes of his aunt with surprising fairness and honesty.  He also presents a balanced view of his mother, father, and Virginia's widower, all of whom lived into the 1960s.  As odd as it may sound, the book's weakness is its subject, particularly the sections on her writing.  I much preferred the side "characters," including her various aunts, although there is a great moment when Leonard defends an old drunk woman from the police, forgetting that he's dressed as the Carpenter for a Lewis Carroll costume party, and Virginia is the March Hare.  As I noted in my review of Orlando, I generally find Virginia Woolf too arty and serious, although Bell does show her more whimsical side, particularly in the first volume.  I probably would prefer a book that was on the Bloomsburyites in general, rather than her specifically, or maybe focusing on Vanessa, whom I think lived the more interesting life. 

Reedited to add, I completely forgot to address Virginia's sexual orientation!  When I first read the book, I was surprised to find that far from being a flaming dyke, Virginia had a love for women, and sometimes men, that was mostly asexual and more of the heart.  She was molested by her half-brother when she was in her teens, and perhaps for that reason disliked the idea of sex.  She loved her devoted, understanding husband, but she was frigid with him.  Even with Vita Sackville-West, it was mostly an "emotional" affair.  Still funny though that the topic completely slipped my mind, since I had brought it up in my Orlando post.

No comments:

Post a Comment