Tuesday, August 21, 2012

More Snappy Answers to Stupid Questions

1972, 1979 Warner edition
Al Jaffee
MAD's Al Jaffee Spews Out More Snappy Answers to Stupid Questions
Possibly bought new for $1.50
Nonetheless, paperback in decent condition, although writing inside (see below)
B-

I think these were funnier when I was a kid.  This time, I smiled but didn't laugh.  In some cases, Jaffee provides blank balloons for you to come up with your own answers, and I filled out a few of these long ago.  Like when the old lady asks the last of several children walking into a building labeled "PUBLIC SCHOOL" if it's his school, I wrote, "No, it's a midget convention."  If Jaffee can't be funnier than an 11-year-old, it's not saying much.

Overall, the book isn't very topical, but there is a picture of a very ugly woman, the only female member of a gang of crooks, and she has a tattoo on her arm of the feminist fist.  In the background, there's a pin-up on the wall of "Miss Gunmoll," maybe to show the contrast of fantasy to reality?  Oh, Mr. Jaffee, I've got a couple questions for you about this....

No comments:

Post a Comment