Saturday, October 19, 2013

Enter Whining

1996, 1997 Harper edition
Fran Drescher
Enter Whining
Original price $6.99, purchase price $3.50
Very worn paperback
B-

Drescher writes like she talks, no, not nasally, but she'll write, for instance, "I'm tellin' ya."  The book isn't whiny in the sense that she's complaining.  She's actually very upbeat, although she'll admit when she faces failure, as she did often (she was cast in Ishtar and then dropped), before clicking with The Nanny, which premiered in '93 and continued on till '99.  I watched it sporadically, and I wouldn't say I'm a huge fan, but I like her.  This book focuses mostly on her career, and isn't good about listing years, but it seemed like there wasn't much on her life before she met high-school sweetheart husband Peter Marc Jacobson, who went on to produce her hit series.

They divorced in '99, and then he came out to her as gay, leading eventually to another series that he produced and she starred in, Happily Divorced.  It ran from 2011 to '13, but I've never seen it.

No comments:

Post a Comment