Sunday, December 22, 2013

Fruits Basket, Volume 8

2002 first published in book form in Japan, although as a comic in 2000, this TokyoPop translation from 2005
Natsuki Takaya
Fruits Basket, Volume 8
Bought newish for $9.99
Slightly worn paperback
B-

This does have one of the characters that made it into the anime (which shuffles things around more than I realized), the "monkey" Sohma, Ritchan, who's just as hysterical (in the over-reacting, not funny, sense) as his mother the hot springs "concubine."  I find him annoying, and I wasn't that into the other stories, but I thought the "haunted house" sequence was great and I wish that had been animated.

There were fifteen volumes after this, a few of which I read, but I didn't care enough to buy them, or keep going.  Mostly I see the books as a supplement to the anime, rather than the other way round, but they're somewhat entertaining on their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment