Monday, January 6, 2014

The Clue of the Linoleum Lederhosen

2006, first edition, from Harcourt, Inc.
M. T. Anderson
Illustrated by Kurt Cyrus
M. T. Anderson's Thrilling Tales: The Clue of the Linoleum Lederhosen
Bought new for $15.00
Hardcover in good condition
B-

Although there are some nice touches here, from the title to the gathering of children's book series heroes and heroines at a hotel (no, not the Denouement), to the bittersweet realization that Katie is stuck in 1998, and Jasper much further back, I don't think this is as strong as Whales.  For one thing, I could've done without the long descriptions of Jasper suffocating in his own snot.  For another, the Manley Boys just aren't as funny as Maney's Hardly Boys.  Even Cyrus's illustrations aren't quite as good as last time, although I think the geometric "pool-floating" one is great. As I recall, my reservations are why I got the third book, 2009's Jasper Dash and the Flame-Pits of Delaware, from the library rather than buying it.  But I also recall that I liked it more than this entry, so I've put it on order and will let you know what I think this time around.

No comments:

Post a Comment