Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Motherhood, the Second Oldest Profession

1983, 1984 Dell edition
Erma Bombeck
Motherhood, the Second Oldest Profession
Bought newish for $3.95
Worn paperback
C

So I was wrong.  I do own another Bombeck book than Just Wait (1971).  I can see why I forget this one, since there's nothing much memorable here, other than the sort of poor taste title and the sort of amusing fairytale stepmothers' versions of their stories.  I remember Bombeck as less sentimental than she comes across here, yet I was also baffled by the things that the mothers got upset about.  (Long hair in the early '80s?  Let's move on, OK?)  Much of the book felt like the kind of email message that got over-forwarded in the late '90s, and in fact "God couldn't be everywhere so he created Mothers" comes from one of these chapters.

No comments:

Post a Comment