Wednesday, October 24, 2012

The Official Smart Kids/ Dumb Parents Joke Book

1977, Pinnacle edition from later that year
Larry Wilde
Illustrations by Ron Wing
The Official Smart Kids/ Dumb Parents Joke Book
Bought new for $1.25
Very worn paperback with stains
C-

Wilde collects lots of corny jokes, not even necessarily about kids or parents.  The book is "two in one," in that you flip over the "kid" side and then read the "parent" side, or vice versa.  The illustrations are kind of ugly.  I'd give the book an even lower grade but I did like the knock-knock jokes and "Little Willies" (sort of sick rhymes from the Victorian era).  I don't remember what I thought of the sexism (especially about women drivers) in my preteens, but I do know I didn't quite get the suggestive jokes.  The one that stayed with me all these years is a variation on this one:
http://www.jokedujour.com/archive/kidS10.htm

Wilde also published ethnic joke books, such as "The Official Polish/ Italian Joke Book."  He's still around, as a motivational speaker among other professions, and his website is http://www.larrywilde.com/ if you're curious.

No comments:

Post a Comment