Wednesday, October 24, 2012

The Book of Lists

1977, 1978 Bantam edition
David Wallechinksy, Irving Wallace, and Amy Wallace
The Book of Lists
Original and purchase price both $2.50
Very worn paperback
C+

The Wallace/Wallechinsky family offer over 500 pages of lists on various topics.  I didn't care about, for instance, sports so although there's some interesting information and opinion, the book does wear thin by the end.  (However, the last page is a picture of Franz Liszt, a joke I didn't get as a child.)  Many of the lists are of course dated, but I found those to therefore be the most interesting, like O. J. Simpson as the top hero in a Ladies' Home Journal poll of children and teens.  And it's funny that Liz Taylor was then two husbands short of making the most-spouses list.  The Longest-Running National TV Series list is still topped by Meet the Press though (now 63 years rather than 29).  The best of the lists are probably the "most unusual" problems ever sent to Dear Abby and Anne Landers.

This isn't my childhood copy (I seem to have read that in my preteens, even the "sex" chapter), but one I picked up in my mid 20s.  I also own the second and third books of lists, so we'll see how those compare to this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment