Monday, May 7, 2012

The Purple Prince of Oz

1932, 1986 Del Rey edition
Ruth Plumly Thompson
Illustrated by John R. Neill
The Purple Prince of Oz
Original price $5.95, bought used for $3.00
Waterlogged paperback
C+


It may be partly that I didn't pick this up as early as the other Thompsons, but I think this is one of the most forgettable of her books.  In fact, within hours after reading it, I thought, "I wonder when I'll get back to Thompson."  It's odd because it does mark the return of many of the Kabumpo characters, with Pompa and Peg Amy now the proud parents of a four-year-old baby.  (Do Oz babies age slowly, too?)  And it's the return of the Red Jinn of Ev, glimpsed briefly in Jack Pumpkinhead.  But it's yet another story about a young prince who must complete some tasks. 


I suppose I should note what I didn't with Pumpkinhead, that the Red Jinn has black slaves.  I assume Thompson did this to add to the exoticism, but it is unpleasant, if perhaps less so (because briefer) than the racism in Royal Book.  And the Red Jinn is supposed to be a sympathetic character, so no one judges him for being a slave-owner.  If I remember correctly, it's most offensive in Silver Princess, due partly to Neill's illustrations.  (I'm restraining myself from going and looking, so I can judge Silver P at the proper time.) 


Oh, the Thompsonian Innuendo Prize goes not to the King and Queen of Stair Way, Kumup and Godown, since the names are sort of to be expected, but to the Red Jinn for crying, "Oh!  Oh!  Oh!  He's the best and only boy friend I have ever had!"


But, yeah, otherwise, not too memorable a book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment