Saturday, May 11, 2013

Roseanne: My Life as a Woman

1989, 1990 Harper edition
Roseanne Barr
Roseanne: My Life as a Woman
Possibly bought newish for $5.95
Paperback that's falling apart
B-

I've read all three autobiographies of Roseanne and it's like they're about three different women.  This is the first (and I think the only one I own) and mostly covers her childhood and adolescence, as a Jewish girl in Salt Lake City.  There's not much about her first marriage-- she divorced Bill Pentland and married Tom Arnold the year this edition was published (also the year of her "Star Spangled Banner" rendition)-- and nothing about the child she gave up for adoption at 17.  She does talk about her quick rise as a stand-up comic, but there's nothing about her self-titled sitcom, which started airing in '88.

I avoided that show when it first aired, which is probably just as well, since it took a season or two to become really funny.  I did buy all the seasons on DVD (yes, unlike MTM and AitF, or even childhood fave Gilligan's Island).  Not every season is great, or even good, but I always find what she does interesting.  I felt the same way about this book, although I'm not going to rush out and buy a replacement copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment