Friday, April 27, 2012

The House at Pooh Corner

1928, 1970 Dell Yearling edition
A. A. Milne
"Decorations by Ernest H. Shepard"
The House at Pooh Corner
Original price $3.25, bought used for unknown
Very worn paperback
B

I didn't own the Pooh books as a child, although I think I read at least one.  I did watch the Disney movies though, and while I think they're good adaptations, there's something special about the surface simplicity of the original text and illustrations.  I especially like how sometimes a sentence will be split into parts, with illustrations in between.  The animals are recognizable types, such as Eeyore the pessimist, and it's fun to see them interact.  (I probably most identify with Piglet, small and fretful but loyal to my best friends.)  Christopher Robin, who in this book is beginning to go to school, is the "adult" here, kind and wise.  It's a gentle, cuddly but still stressful world, the Hundred Acre Wood.  Tigger is introduced in this book and Rabbit's plot to abandon and thus humble him seems cruel.  Luckily, Tigger is able to thrive as his vibrant self, unlike Helga Crane in Passing.

No comments:

Post a Comment