Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Introduction

The Project
I'm in the process of moving, for the first time in seven years.  Every time I move, I wonder why I own so many books.  Yes, I like to reread, but do I really need all of them?  I donated a few books as I packed, but those were the easy ones to eliminate, ones I couldn't imagine ever rereading.  The only way to evaluate whether to keep the rest is to reread them.  Plus it'll be fun to revisit the books en masse.  Hence this project.

When I say every book, do I mean every book, like the dictionary or my senior yearbook?  All I can say at this point is that I'll decide that when I get there.  I'm going to do this chronologically by the original year of publication, although that's looking to be a bit more complicated than it sounds.

1.  If it's a clear copyright, great.
2.  If it's before the times of copyrights, I'll go with the year it was written, distributed, or (in the case of Shakespeare for instance) performed.
3.  If it's a translation, I'm going to go with the year of translation, unless it's a decade or more after original publication.
4.  If it's a collection of writings (essays, short stories, novels), then I will read each piece in the year it's from if clearly indicated, unless the editing is significant enough in itself to go with the year the collection was published.
5.  Barry Williams's Growing up Brady is going to be in both 1992 and 1999 because the later edition has significant changes.  On the other hand, I will reread the British editions of Harry Potter and just note the illustrations for the American editions.
6.  Within each year, I'll go alphabetically by author.  "Anonymous" will be first.

How long will this project take?  No idea, probably years if not decades
How many books do I own?  No idea, a few hundred?
What will I do if I acquire more books before the end of this project, as is very likely?  Drop them in chronologically if I haven't gotten to their years yet, otherwise not blog about them.

Format
Year, original and this edition if different
Author, and perhaps Illustrator
Title
Price of this copy, both original and what I probably paid for it used
Condition, including any interesting notes other people wrote  (I don't write in books unless a typo really bothers me.)
Grade, F- to A+
Review

I may revise this, but at least this gives me a starting point.

No comments:

Post a Comment