Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Henry VIII

1613
William Shakespeare
Henry VIII
C-

As in Antony and Cleopatra, WS has a talent for making vibrant historical figures flat and uninteresting onstage.  Almost 80 years after her death, was there a reason to strip Anne Boleyn of her vivid personality?  Even Henry comes across more vividly in every book I've ever read him in than he does here.  Ironically, pious, demure Katherine of Aragon steals the scenes she's in.  Also LOL at the way the last scene works in praise not only for Elizabeth I but for her successor James I.  (You'd think Henry might be annoyed by a prediction that his daughter will not only be the ruler but die a virgin, considering all his succession issues.)

Overall, this collection of Shakespeare averages out to a C.  I'll hold on to it, but I'll probably continue to read it through only once every 20 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment