Monday, July 16, 2012

Landlocked

1965, 1991 Plume edition
Doris Lessing
Landlocked
Bought new for $8.95
Worn paperback
C+

More waiting around with passive Martha and her friends.  She finally, after four years, gets a divorce and leaves for England, but that's in the last chapter.  Meanwhile, World War II ends and the Cold War begins.  Martha for the first time has a somewhat satisfying (emotionally and physically) relationship, so you know it won't work out.  (I was rooting for Martha to get with one of the Cohen brothers, after all this time.)  I appreciated the insights into Martha's mother and daughter, although I thought it was weak to have her father die offstage.  And good ol' Jasmine drops by and gets the last word ("Barricades!"), and "then she vanished from sight."

Four down and one to go of this series.  I think I liked Martha best in the last book, The Four-Gated City, or maybe I was just so glad to finally be in England after all that build-up.  We'll see if that holds true when we get to 1969....

No comments:

Post a Comment